This year’s college freshmen were most likely born in 1996, and there are a few thing that have ALWAYS been in their lives:
The Daily Show with Jon Stewart has always been on TV
Bill Gates has always been the richest man in the U.S.
They’ve never used Netscape as a web browser (if they even know what it is)
They’ve never experienced the AIDS crisis . . . the number of cases of Americans dying from AIDS has been going down their entire lives.
They were never seduced into smoking by Joe Camel . . . he was gone by ’97.
THE FULL LIST
For students entering college this fall in the Class of 2018…
- During their initial weeks of kindergarten, they were upset by endlessly repeated images of planes blasting into the World Trade Center.
- Since they binge-watch their favorite TV shows, they might like to binge-watch the video portions of their courses too.
- Meds have always been an option.
- When they see wire-rimmed glasses, they think Harry Potter, not John Lennon.
- “Press pound” on the phone is now translated as “hit hashtag.”
- Celebrity “selfies” are far cooler than autographs.
- The Daily Show with Jon Stewart has always been the only news program that really “gets it right.”
- Hard liquor has always been advertised on television.
- Ralph Nader has always been running for President of the U.S.
- They never sat glued to Saturday morning cartoon shows but have been hooked on FOX’s Sunday night “Animation Domination.”
- The water cooler is no longer the workplace social center; it’s the place to fill your water bottle.
- In their lifetime, a dozen different actors have portrayed Nelson Mandela on the big and small screen.
- Women have always attended the Virginia Military Institute and the Citadel.
- FOX News and MSNBC have always been duking it out for the hearts and minds of American viewers.
- Pepsi has always refreshed travelers in outer space.
- Hong Kong has always been part of China.
- Courts have always been overturning bans on same-sex marriages.
- Joe Camel has never introduced one of them to smoking.
- Bosnia and Herzegovina have always been one nation.
- Citizens have always had a constitutional right to a “dignified and humane death.”
- Nicotine has always been recognized as an addictive drug requiring FDA oversight.
- Students have always been able to dance at Baylor.
- Hello Dolly…cloning has always been a fact, not science fiction.
- Women have always been dribbling, and occasionally dunking, in the WNBA.
- Ads for prescription drugs, noting their disturbing side effects, have always flooded the airwaves.
- Hell has always been associated less with torment and more with nothingness.
- Whether to embrace fat or spurn it has been a front page debate all their lives.
- Parents have always been able to rely on a ratings system to judge violence on TV.
- They never tasted the “texturally enhanced alternative beverage” known as Orbitz.
- There has always been “TV” designed to be watched exclusively on the web.
- The Unabomber has always been behind bars.
- Female referees have always officiated NBA games.
- There has always been a national database of sex offenders.
- Chicago, a musical about a celebrity getting away with murder, has always been popular on Broadway.
- Yet another blessing of digital technology: They have never had to hide their dirty magazines under the bed.
- U.S. major league baseball teams have always played in Mexico.
- Bill Gates has always been the richest man in the U.S.
- Attending schools outside their neighborhoods, they gather with friends on Skype, not in their local park.
- While the number of Americans living with HIV has always been going up, American deaths from AIDS have always been going down.
- They have no memory of George Stephanopoulos as a senior White House advisor.
- The PGA has always offered golfers with disabilities a ride—reluctantly.
- “African-American Vernacular English” has always been recognized as a distinct language in Oakland.
- Two-term presidents are routine, but none of them ever won in a landslide.
- The family has always been able to buy insurance at local banks.
- One route to pregnancy has always been through frozen eggs.
- They have probably never used Netscape as their web browser.
- Everybody has always Loved Raymond.
- “Salon” has always been an online magazine.
- The rate of diagnosed diabetes has always been shooting up during their lifetime.
- Affirmative Action has always been outlawed in California.
- Boeing has never had any American competition for commercial aircraft.
- U.S. soldiers have always been vaccinated against anthrax.
- “Good feedback” means getting 30 likes on your last Facebook post in a single afternoon.
- Their collection of U.S. quarters has always celebrated the individual states.
- Since Toys R Us created a toy registry for kids, visits to Santa are just a formality.
Copyright© 2014 Beloit College