News

Ohio man sentenced after video confession in fatal crash

Ohio man sentenced after video confession in fatal crash

CORDLE SENTENCED: Matthew Cordle is sentenced to more than six years in prison for a fatal crash. Photo: YouTube

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — An Ohio man whose online video confession went viral was sentenced on Wednesday to more than six years in prison.

Matthew Cordle was sentenced to 6 1/2 years for a June crash that killed 61-year-old Vincent Canzani.

Cordle had been drinking the night of the wreck and was more than two times the legal limit when he drove the wrong way on Interstate 670 in Columbus, striking Canzani’s car and killing him.

He recorded a confession video through the help of the Because I Said I Would website that has been viewed millions of times.

Canzani’s daughter, Angela Canzani, spoke during Cordle’s sentencing and said his online confession video shouldn’t allow him to receive a lighter sentence.

The Franklin County Prosecutor has asked Judge David Fais for the maximum eight years, saying Cordle drove despite a history of blackouts after heavy drinking.

Cordle’s attorneys asked for a sentence below the maximum to send a message about the value of taking responsibility for a tragedy.

Cordle pleaded guilty to aggravated vehicular homicide and driving a vehicle under the influence of alcohol. He publicly apologized to the Canzani family during a statement made in court on Wednesday.

Portland Weather

condition Condition: Partly Cloudy
Temperature: 36°
High: 37° - Low: 26°

Latest Headlines

in Music

Miranda Lambert and Blake Shelton launching music festival

Fresh
miranda

The two stars will co-headline the inaugural Big Barrel Country Music Festival in Delaware in June.

in Viral Videos

WATCH: Airman ‘Santa’ surprises 6-year-old son at storytime

Fresh
santa

Aaron Williams was sad that his dad, stationed in South Korea, wouldn't be stateside for the holidays ... but a little Christmas magic gave him a gift he'll never forget.

in Entertainment

Forget politics, Sony calls ‘The Interview’ ‘desperately unfunny’

Updated
interviewmovieposter

Leaked emails show some Sony execs thought the $44 million comedy would have been a "flop."